Venezuelan strike beginning to fail

David Schanoes dmsch at attglobal.net
Wed Jan 1 09:27:39 PST 2003

Hey Todd,

Blahblahblah.

Still have yet to see/hear/anybdoy disagree with the "weak reed," glimmer of hope theory.

Didn't pledge anything, never went to cadre meetings.

It's getting late, a little too late, for the good-guy liberal posturing.

You already know the rest.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Todd Archer" <todda39 at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 8:27 PM Subject: Re: Venezuelan strike beginning to fail

> David said:
>
> >Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I'll follow it to the letter.
>
> You're welcome. Pity you're not.
>
> >Excuse me, it was my mistake. I read the intro to this list and it >said
> >"Marxist." I thought, incorrectly, that meant Marxist.
>
> Considering the Marx himself said, "I am not a Marxist", what were you
> expecting?
>
> http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1890/letters/90_08_05.htm
>
> >So I did watch and listen for awhile. And I got arguments about
> >generational failure, "baby boomers," whether anarchists are diverse
> > >enough to qualify for, what?, whether or not there is a movement
> > >sufficiently developed to oppose US policies,obviously not, but so
> > >what?, and last but not least, Richard Lugar as a reed, glimmer of
>hope,
> >a twin star with Colin Powell. Well, if that's Marxism, I'm in >the wrong
> >place.
>
> The intro also says this:
>
> "lbo-talk is an email-based mailing list for disucssing politics,
economics,
> and culture, all expansively defined, sponsored by this newsletter.
>
> Despite that sponsorship, I hope this list will be a forum for speaking
> across intellectual and social boundaries that have divided the left, such
> as it is, for too long. Among these oppositions I'd like to see worked
> through are ones like class/identity, cultural politics/"real" politics,
> Marxism/postmodernism, universal/particularist, activism/theory,
> economics/culture, nature/labor; nature/culture, and labor/culture."
>
> >I don't think it's easy to change anything. I just think it's >necessary,
> >and necessary to begin the process at the ground level. That would
preclude
> >discussions of baby boomers, enlightened generals. >and other bourgeois
> >beacons of hope. That means, at the start, >jettisoning all analyses that
> >don't focus on class, and class as the >revolutionary agent.
>
> Did you just come back from some cadre meeting or something? Pledging in
> stentorian tones your blood and bone, first born, etc. to abolishing
> capital, then sealing the holy vow with a secret handshake?
>
> >Pissing people off? Hope so. Nothing wrong with that.
>
> So brainlessly pissing off possible friends and allies by lecturing at
them
> is the same as pissing off the bourgeoise by speaking truth to them?
Beware