Color of Anarchism Re: Protest ISO...

Anthony Tothe yankee at webspan.net
Wed Jan 1 09:31:13 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: Thomas Seay <entheogens at yahoo.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 1:44 PM Subject: Re: Color of Anarchism Re: Protest ISO...

> --- Anthony Tothe <yankee at webspan.net> wrote:
> The fault
> > lies with t he left and
> > not with those who don't show up.
>
> Why do you think that? Why is it necessarily a
> "fault"?

Hello Thomas,

Well I guess I feel that the left should be looking to build as large a movement as possible and that it should reach out to all those that may be inclinded to side with us on whatever issue. It also just bothers me when I see pretty much the same people all of time. I mean questions of ecomomic, political and social rights cut across all barriers. And when it comes to people of color-blacks in particular-it seems to me that those questions are even more pertinent to them that to some white folks i.e., when you look who is effected by poverty, or who makes up the prison population, or who is targeted by drug laws and such. Not that these things don't effect white also. They obviously do. So some of the things which the left traditionally works on, and that it should work on, disproportionately effect people of color but we seem to have a hard time connecting with those very same people. I think that is problem.

> > How many blacks are on this list?
> I dont know. My email box
> I would guess not
> > many...the same is true
> > for the znet forums as far as I can tell. I have no
> > clue as to the reasons
> > for this but it is a problem.-Tony
>
> Why is that a problem?

It strikes me as exclusionary for the reasons mentioned above. Not that this is the result of some kind of policy or something. As I said earlier, I don't understand why this happens but it does...constantly.

Sometimes it seems to me that the left is more in touch with people in the third world than they are with people who live down the block from them.-Tony