Color of Anarchism Re: Protest ISO...

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Jan 1 11:31:48 PST 2003

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> What about now?
>
> The total number of Senators: 100
> The total number of Representatives: 435
> The total number of members of the Congressional Black Caucus in the
> 108th Congress: 39
>
> The percentage of African Americans in the 109th Congress: 7.3
>
> US Congress today is still far from racially representative, but far
> more racially representative than the anarchist movement now.

Really? What are the numbers for the anarchist movement?

I'd like to know where you got access to this information, because it doesn't exist.

> Not interested in attracting more blacks and other people of color to
> anarchism?

Of course. But I don't think that anarchists should go around aping the leftists with their tokenism and opportunism. And as I mentioned earlier, sometimes it is better to develop respectful alliances with other groups, organizations, and individuals, instead of trying to recruit them into your project.

> What would it have meant to "tame" the 1991 LA riot? What form would
> dissent have taken if "tamed" in the sense you mean? You mean fewer
> individuals would have been killed, deported, arrested, etc. because of
> the riot?

You know, the WWP goes out and gets a permit and asks all the rioters to come back to the meeting hall to hear what the Beckers have decided for them.

Read up on the recuperation of dissent. It's a time-honered tactic that the ruling class always uses successfully against us.

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

"The state can't give you free speech, and the state can't take it away. You're born with it, like your eyes, like your ears. Freedom is something you assume, then you wait for someone to try to take it away. The degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free..." ---Utah Phillips