Color of Anarchism Re: Protest ISO...

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 1 13:20:51 PST 2003

--- David Schanoes <dmsch at attglobal.net> wrote: Tokenism
> historically has meant using one member of a group
> to continue the process
> of disenfranchisement of the whole group.
> Whatever our opinions of the left, I don't think
> tokenism applies.

I want to reply to this, even though your comments are directed at Chuck.

I dont define tokenism in this way. I mean, using minorities as part of the Left spectacle, "window dressing" if you will. No doubt, many of the people who do this have good intentions. Nonetheless, it betrays a sort of condescencion.

Why do I say this? It occurs to me that there are MANY forms of struggle. "The Left", in general, has certain forms of struggle it considers valid (some of which I think are often empty rituals...spectacles). One of these is demonstrations. And so white leftists get all shook up if there aren't a certain number of minorities, or as someone said earlier, there are always the same people there.

Now a lot of people might not think the classic leftist forms of struggle are worthwhile or take up their real needs. I will admit that demonstrations might have there place...but is it too hard to see why some people might think that these "walk in the park" demonstrations might not serve them?

Now demonstrations, signing petitions, etc might be some people's definition of struggle. However, other people have other means of struggle that might not be defined as such within the leftist lexicon.

As Chuck says, not everybody who has anarchist ideals wears black and "looks" like an anarchist. In the same way, a lot of people who are fighting capitalism dont join "leftist" organizations or struggle in the same way as "leftists". I suspect that those people might, in certain cases, have found better ways.

-Thomas

===== "Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

"Money eats quality and shits out quantity" -William Burroughs