Electoral Dilemmas Re: Color of Anarchism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jan 3 08:10:37 PST 2003

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>At 9:03 PM -0500 1/2/03, Doug Henwood wrote:
>>The Reps are the party of white pride!
>
>That may be in part a function of the first-past-the-post system.
>The absence of proportional representation means that the far right,
>rather than organizing their own parties a la Jean-Marie Le Pen's
>National Front, mainly remain within the Republican Party.

I was a bit surprised to see Justin going on about how races don't really exist. Of course they don't exist in any biological sense, but they are created and sustained politically, and in the U.S., it happens every day, right in front of our eyes. Just ask Trent Lott.

The Reps racializing Southern Strategy was organized from the highest levels of the party, by Nixon and Kevin Phillips, and they've been running on white anxiety and resentment ever since. It's not just a bunch of semi-marginal Le Pen-style extremeists - it's governors, Senators, and presidential candidates (including W campaigning at Bob Jones U).

Doug