Electoral Dilemmas Re: Color of Anarchism

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 3 13:29:22 PST 2003

At 11:10 AM -0500 1/3/03, Doug Henwood wrote:
>>At 9:03 PM -0500 1/2/03, Doug Henwood wrote:
>>>The Reps are the party of white pride!
>>
>>That may be in part a function of the first-past-the-post system.
>>The absence of proportional representation means that the far
>>right, rather than organizing their own parties a la Jean-Marie Le
>>Pen's National Front, mainly remain within the Republican Party.
>
>I was a bit surprised to see Justin going on about how races don't
>really exist. Of course they don't exist in any biological sense,
>but they are created and sustained politically, and in the U.S., it
>happens every day, right in front of our eyes. Just ask Trent Lott.

Justin didn't say what you attribute to him, but he answered for himself.

>The Reps racializing Southern Strategy was organized from the
>highest levels of the party, by Nixon and Kevin Phillips, and
>they've been running on white anxiety and resentment ever since.
>It's not just a bunch of semi-marginal Le Pen-style extremeists -
>it's governors, Senators, and presidential candidates (including W
>campaigning at Bob Jones U).

Who disagrees? I'm just saying that, in the two-party duopoly system, a large number of the far right (though not all of them) get stuck in the Republican Party, whereas, with proportional representation, they would build their own party, as in France. -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/>