US cultural sway waning?

kjkhoo at softhome.net kjkhoo at softhome.net
Fri Jan 3 16:32:31 PST 2003

US cultural sway may or may not be waning, but these two items are hardly indicative.

The second item is perhaps the more evident: Mecca Cola is a copy of "the real thing" and is thus condemned at inception to be under the latter's sign. It may well come out from under that, but I doubt it as it depends for recognition upon the continued existence of "the real thing".

The first item is shallow reporting. So what if US TV shows are slotted into non-prime slots which are given over to locally produced shows? What are these locally produced shows, their content, their form, their inspiration? Many are simply take-offs, copies, of US shows. Which is the more potent -- the imitation local show or "the real thing"?

In my opinion, far from US cultural sway waning, it is being internalised and "localised"/"nationalised".

kj khoo

At 3:49 AM +0000 2/1/03, Carl Remick wrote:
>[Far-called our navies melt away / On dune and headland sinks the
>fire / Lo, all our branding of yesterday / Is one with Nineveh and
>Tyre! Couple of items from the NY Times:]
>
>January 2, 2003
>
>U.S. TV Shows Losing Potency Around World
>
>By SUZANNE KAPNER

and