Color of Anarchism Re: Protest ISO...

billbartlett at dodo.com.au billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Sat Jan 4 16:26:27 PST 2003

At 7:26 PM -0500 3/1/03, Chuck0 wrote:

>Running away is not an option.
>
>I wasn't arguing this. My point was that people could set up these parallel or alternative arrangements where they live. Isn't this what is happening now in Argentina?

To the extent that people are taking over businesses outside the law, I grant you. But these are businesses that have given up the ghost, their employees having no alternative but to attempt to hang onto them. It is driven by poverty. Anyhow, at best it is only transferring the almost valueless property of the former owners of the business into the hands of the workers. I'm not very optimistic this anarchic spirit would survive an economic revival which offered people an alternative means of earning a living. Are you?

It is one thing to take failed businesses, out of desperation. It is another to democratically make a class conscious decision as a society to dispense with private ownership of the means of production and the political state which defends it.

I don't see much chance of the one leading to the another. It doesn't seem a viable strategy for revolution. Which has always been the weakness of anarchists, the goals are good but there is no viable strategy to achieve them.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas