Electoral Dilemmas Re: Color of Anarchism

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Sun Jan 5 11:01:32 PST 2003

Hi,

See below:

Well, to quote Doug Henwood from 1999: "it's symptomatic of where rightwing thought & propaganda are going; they've left the Bell Curve way behind."

Some sectors of the right still embrace biological racism, many others have embraced cultural racism. Both claim that it is essentialist. The cultural racists are split as to whether or not a person can transcend race by adopting culture. The Promise Keepers is an example where it is OK to be Black or Hispanic as long as you adopt White versions of Protestant conservative evangelicalism.

Buchanan is an example of a biological racist posing as a cultural racist.

Telos is an example of former leftists embracing right-wing cultural racism via de Benoist.

Just because what Balibar & Zizek (& Wallerstein, & others) call neo-racism is not really totally new, it is silly to dismiss it without analyzing how influential it has become in ideological discourse. The European New Right is an example, with the Third Position representing the neonazi version.

I agree with Arendt that racial nationalism is the doppelganger of fascism. So racial separatist forms of racism make me nervous. I do think the these versions of racial separatism need to be taken seriously.

-Chip