Electoral Dilemmas Re: Color of Anarchism

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 5 11:26:58 PST 2003

> andie nachgeborenen wrote:
>
> >"Seperate but equal," the Supreme Court called it
> in
> >Plessy v. Ferguson (1897) [correction, 1896).
What's neo about that?

> That was a bullshit cover for a hierarchal concept
> of race. This is a
> diffferent animal.
>
> Doug

The Court put it like this, referring, indeed to "physical difference," but putting more weight on the idea that race is a social relationship:

We consider the underlying fallacy of the plaintiff's argument to consist in the assumption that the enforced separation of the two races stamps the colored race with a badge of inferiority. If this be so, it is not by reason of anything found in the act, but solely because the colored race chooses to put that construction upon it. The argument necessarily assumes that if, as has been more than once the case, and is not unlikely to be so again, the colored race should become the dominant power in the state legislature, and should enact a law in precisely similar terms, it would thereby relegate the white race to an inferior position. We imagine that the white race, at least, would not acquiesce in this assumption. The argument also assumes that social prejudices may be overcome by legislation, and that equal rights cannot be secured to the negro except by an enforced commingling of the two races. We cannot accept this proposition. If the two races are to meet upon terms of social equality, it must be the result of natural affinities, a mutual appreciation of each other's merits, and a voluntary consent of individuals. As was said by the court of appeals of New York in People v. Gallagher, 93 N. Y. 438, 448: 'This end can neither be accomplished nor promoted by laws which conflict with the general sentiment of the community upon whom they are designed to operate. When the government, therefore, has secured to each of its citizens equal rights before the law, and equal opportunities for improvement and progress, it has accomplished the end for which it was organized, and performed all of the functions respecting social advantages with which it is endowed.' Legislation is powerless to eradicate racial instincts, or to abolish distinctions based upon physical differences, and the attempt to do so can only result in accentuating the difficulties of the present situation. If the civil and political rights of both races be equal, one cannot be inferior to the other civilly *552 or politically. If one race be inferior to the other socially, the constitution of the United States cannot put them upon the same plane.

Plessy v. Ferguson, 163 U.S. 537, 551 (1896)