Krispy Kreme, was Re: chain stores and regional identity

DoreneFC at aol.com DoreneFC at aol.com
Sun Jan 5 16:27:33 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/5/2003 2:08:37 PM Pacific Standard Time, jeet at sturdynet.com writes:

> Subj:chain stores and regional identity
> Date:1/5/2003 2:08:37 PM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:jeet at sturdynet.com">jeet at sturdynet.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:lbo-talk at lists.panix.com">lbo-talk at lists.panix.com</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Hi,
>
> I'm a reporter working on an article about the persistence of regional
> culture for the Ideas section of the Boston Globe and I thought that some
> of
> the people on this list serve might have some ideas. What sparked my
> article
> was a PhD thesis I recently read which argued that donut chain stores
> frequently have a strong regional identity. Thus Krisy Kreme is popular in
> the South, Dunkin Donut in the North Eastern United States and Tim Hortons
> in English Canada.
> Here are some basic questions that this thesis sparked. Any thought
> people
> might have would be most appeciated.
>
> 1) Do you think it is true that ordinary people often find regional
> identity
> in the products of mass culture? If so, do you think Krispy Kreme in the
> south counts as a good example?
>
> 2) Aside from Krispy Kreme, can you think of any other chain store or
> franchise that has a strong regional identity in the South?
>
> 3) Do you think that the persistent of regional identity through consumer
> products and chain stores challenges the idea that culture in North America
> is becoming more homogenious?

(Warning this is about DONUTS, not anarchism, ideology, race, class.... There is probably an iota of economic insight in here somewhere, but the only refs supplied are local media outlets so feel free to hit delete now....)

Interesting you should mention Krispy Kreme. I think Krispy Kreme has some kind of national growth strategy and I am trying to think what if anything "southern" there was about the opening of the first Krispy Kreme in the Seattle area. I would think to track Krispy Kreme openings outside the south to see how the regionalism issue plays out

The first store here (more are impending) opened in Issaquah, a Seattle-Bellevue-Redmond suburb that is kind of the epitome of big house cul-de-sac yuppie suburbia. I for one would think of the Seattle market as a bunch of Goretex wearing granola munching bicycle commuters and I was surprised there was enough buzz about DONUTS for the co even to consider dropping a store in Issaquah.

Plus off the cuff, I would be inclined to say "they're JUST DONUTS." I have tried one, thanks to someone who waited in line for HOURS made a mass purchase to bring to Scrabble club. The donut was good but they are NOT worth either fighting traffic on the way to Issaquah or waiting line forever for.

However, when the one store opened and only one store, Krispy Kreme donuts became the ultimate status symbol. Maybe it was just one store automatically equals artificial shortage. Everyone who had to stand in line bought huge quantities. There were reports of Kripy Kreme resale bidding and generally a circus capitalist bidding exercise reminiscent of Bill Gates and his sbilings bidding about who did the dishes.

For media accounts look at

www.seattletimes.com www.seattlepi.com

Also find the Eastside Journal, which I am sure has a webstie but I do not know which.

So I would be curious but don't have time to research the level of Krispy Kreme hype in ohter places and also the general Kripy kreme culture....

DoreneC -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030105/ab9c7a44/attachment.htm>