Krispy Kreme, was Re: chain stores and regional identity

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 5 17:40:48 PST 2003

> > 1) Do you think it is true that ordinary people
> often find regional
> > identity
> > in the products of mass culture? If so, do you
> think Krispy Kreme in the
> > south counts as a good example?

No, I dont think that is at all true. They may find regional identity in certain foods. I am originally from the South and doubt none-southerners on this list would know about red-eye gravy and cornpone. I didnt even realize that Krispy Kreme was primarily Southern, though I knew that it only recently showed up out here in the San Francisco Bay Area.

> > 2) Aside from Krispy Kreme, can you think of any
> other chain store or
> > franchise that has a strong regional identity in
> the South?

Not since Minnie Pearls Fried Chicken franchise went bankrupt circa 1970 ;) There are/have been other chains that are primarily Southern. I think Shoney's or Krystal Hamburgers (this latter may be out of business now) among them. But I dont think Southerners identify with those or even know that they are exclusively or primarily Southern.

> > 3) Do you think that the persistent of regional
> identity through consumer
> > products and chain stores challenges the idea that
> culture in North America
> > is becoming more homogenious?

I suspect that culture in North America is becoming more homogenous. I emphatically disagree that chain stores and consumer products are linked to regional identity.

Donuts in general are way too sweet for my palate. Although IF I ate donuts, I would choose Krispy Kreme. I notice that a lot of my fellow-workers prefer Krispy Kreme, ever since the chain was established here in San Fran. area a few years ago.

-Thomas

===== "Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

"Money eats quality and shits out quantity" -William Burroughs