Newsweek to start China edition

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Mon Jan 6 15:25:37 PST 2003

The Economic Times

Sunday, January 5, 2003

Newsweek to start China edition

AP

NEW YORK: Newsweek said on Monday it plans to launch a Chinese-language edition in the People's Republic of China and Hong Kong starting sometime next year.

Newsweek Select will be published monthly in cooperation with SinoWorld CNW Publishing, a subsidiary of Hong Kong's Vertex Group. Newsweek is owned by The Washington Post Co.

The magazine will be printed in Hong Kong and written with simplified Chinese characters.

"Newsweek Select will introduce Chinese readers to the very latest trends and advances in business, health, family life, science and technology, and entertainment," said Richard M Smith, chairman and editor-in-chief of Newsweek. "Our goal is to bring to Chinese-language readers important developments in the US and the world. We are very excited about entering this large, growing and important market."

Newsweek and Vertex have previously worked together on Chinese versions of Newsweek special editions on child development and adult health.

Copyright 2003 Times Internet Limited. All rights reserved.