Economic Determinism? NOT!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 7 12:24:25 PST 2003

Carrol Cox wrote:

> I think you are wasting your time, Justin, in arguing with people who
> only want to have a label to put on what they don't like so they can
> forget about it.
>
> Endless chatter about "determinism" is childish.

To avoid misconstrual, and to stick to my metaphor: I think Justin is attempting to give adult answers to childish questions. And that is usually a waste of breath. For the most part those who babble of Marx's (or Marxists') "economic determinism" simply don't know what they are saying, and are not about to take any answer except simple confirmation seriously. They will not be able to _see_ or _hear_ any answer which does not conform to their mechanical presuppositions, and those mechanical presuppositions make the phrase "Marx's economic determinism" a mere tautology.

Carrol