Self-determination - pork rinds

Kelley jimmyjames at softhome.net
Wed Jan 8 09:15:32 PST 2003

At 09:13 AM 1/8/03 -0600, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:
>genny cream was also big in ohio, but there was another player in the
>highly competitive cream ale market, little kings.
>
>of course, we always said of wiedemann's, that it was "the beer to have
>when you've had more than one."
>
>never heard of spiedies--and have a feeling i should be grateful.

Nah, it's a very tasty dish originated by some Greek diner owners in Binghamton.

One note to add to the below: Soak skewers in water so they don't go up in smoke--probably the only dangerous to your health thang about 'em.

http://www.geography.ccsu.edu/harmonj/atlas/spiedie.htm

With some regional food items of the Northeast it is easy to understand why they have failed to diffuse beyond their region of origin; they just don't taste very good or they are not different enough from other items with other names to replace them. New Jersey's pork roll is an example of the former and the Michigan of northern New York the latter. But the spiedie is different. Here is an excellent sandwich with a solid market and region that is not only sold commercially but made at home and it is still confined entirely to the the central portion of the Southern Tier of New York state. A one time mayor of Binghamton said, "Growing up here, I was shocked to find out that people elsewhere didn't know what a spiedie was. Actually, it's such a tasty morsel, I'm surprised it hasn't spread. But if Binghamton is going to be famous for anything, it might as well be the spiedie." (Crabb, quoted in Moore 1991)

Kelley

It's a list about culture, too!