Self-determination - pork rinds

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Wed Jan 8 09:35:00 PST 2003

On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 11:15 AM, Kelley wrote:

> At 09:13 AM 1/8/03 -0600, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:
>> genny cream was also big in ohio, but there was another player in the
>> highly competitive cream ale market, little kings.
>>
>> of course, we always said of wiedemann's, that it was "the beer to
>> have when you've had more than one."
>>
>> never heard of spiedies--and have a feeling i should be grateful.

> Nah, it's a very tasty dish originated by some Greek diner owners in
> Binghamton.
>
> One note to add to the below: Soak skewers in water so they don't go
> up in smoke--probably the only dangerous to your health thang about
> 'em.
>
> http://www.geography.ccsu.edu/harmonj/atlas/spiedie.htm

huh. so, in short, it's a marinated meat sandwich. seems like an edible thing in principle, for them as still eat mammals. i was both reassured and disappointed that there is a chicken spiedie category at the festival. ;-)

> Kelley
>
> It's a list about culture, too!

or, as a new yorker friend of mine from grad school said, "cultcha"--and say it with the veritable disdain of goebbels . . . ;-)