Helen Thomas vs. Ari Fleischer

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Wed Jan 8 15:44:10 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 3:19 PM Subject: Re: Helen Thomas vs. Ari Fleischer

> At 2:58 PM -0800 1/8/03, Ian Murray wrote:
> > > Then easily beaten back.
> >> --
> > > Yoshie
> >=================
> >
> >Nonetheless, they were seen as posing a serious threat to regional
stability.

> I don't think that Iraq's conquest of Kuwait posed a military threat
> to the rest of the region. much less to the rest of the world. It
> might have posed a political threat, but that's another story. The
> point is that Iraq's current lack of military capacity motivates the
> US to pursue its aggressive policy. If Iraq were an actual military
> threat, say with nuclear weapons, ICBMS, and all that, the US
> wouldn't be so aggressive.
> --
> Yoshie

Golly, I'm learning so much today. If you lived in Kuwait, Yemen, Saudi Arabia or the UAE in 1991 I seriously doubt you would say Iraq posed no threat. I notice you didn't answer my question. There's no such thing as a political threat without military means to back it up. Sweden has a lack of current military capacity, you don't see the US bothering them, heh?

The Iraq crisis was manufactured to slow down, if not derail, the global justice movement which had been given a big gift horse called the millenium bubble and the Enron/WorldCom etc. "scandal" which exposed for all the world to see that the cowboy capitalism of the US is totally corrupt and in need of replacement. Now the US capitalists have to use militarism/nihilism to change the subject and thanks to the lapdogs in the corporate media, have largely gotten away with it so far.

Ian