More on Hardt & Negri from Brennan

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jan 8 20:31:12 PST 2003

What a predictable put-down. Brennan asks in "The Magician's Wand: A Rejoinder to Hardt and Negri" (@ <http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/resolve?CI290208PDF>): "The question...is whether the authors [Hardt and Negri] would view serious disagreement with their work as anything other than 'distortion.'" It is clear that they don't, and neither do their disciples. "You haven't read the book," or "You haven't read the book correctly," rather than "I disagree with you because....," are typical responses from them. The idea is that either you are lazy or dumb or else you would naturally agree with Hardt and Negri or think highly of their work. An arrogant attitude rather unbecoming of those who claim to advocate autonomy, freedom, and so forth. If that's the ethos of Hardt's and Negri's world, so be it. -- Yoshie