Deleuze & Guattari, Zizek on Arendt (More from Brennan)

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Thu Jan 9 15:34:11 PST 2003

Quoting Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>:

> Catherine Driscoll wrote:
>
> >how, i might add, can a very assertively professed Marxist settle for 'oh
> it's
> >only popular culture, not important'
> >i have never understood that at all
>
> Because pop culture is only concerned with what hundreds of millions,
> nay billions, of people think and dream about, when the real action
> is around the forces of production. I'm shocked you had to ask.
>
> Doug

Hmm, and, those millions+ don't have anything to do with the forces of production? This is the point of my extreme bemusement, of course. Doesn't "Marx" think the relations between people and their ideas/perceptions/desires kind of important to the "forces of production"? Probably I'm getting him mixed up with some insipid "1968" revamping.

Catherine

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP at ArtsIT: http://admin.arts.usyd.edu.au/horde/imp/