Sweetness and Power Re: Deleuze & Guattari...

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Fri Jan 10 05:58:34 PST 2003

Quoting Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>:

> Has anyone read Sidney W. Mintz, _Sweetness and Power: The Place of
> Sugar in Modern History_ (1985)? If there are comparable historical
> materialist efforts that analyze other consumption goods of
> importance, I'd be interested in reading them.

what makes "consumption goods" important rather than unimportant? why does sugar count (no, i know that one); why do other "goods" not count? i would think, yoshie, that people's lives counted... were "of importance"... and that includes tons of things that probably don't count as "goods" in macroeconomic relations

Catherine

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP at ArtsIT: http://admin.arts.usyd.edu.au/horde/imp/