Sweetness and Power Re: Deleuze & Guattari...

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 10 06:20:47 PST 2003

>Quoting Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>:
>
>> Has anyone read Sidney W. Mintz, _Sweetness and Power: The Place of
>> Sugar in Modern History_ (1985)? If there are comparable historical
>> materialist efforts that analyze other consumption goods of
>> importance, I'd be interested in reading them.
>
>what makes "consumption goods" important rather than unimportant?
>why does sugar count (no, i know that one); why do other "goods" not count?
>i would think, yoshie, that people's lives counted... were "of importance"...
>and that includes tons of things that probably don't count as "goods" in
>macroeconomic relations
>
>Catherine

Each writer makes an argument for the significance of the object (be it a consumption good or anything else) of his or her analysis, which each reader is free to accept or reject. Mintz does that well for sugar: what changes in the relations of production and consumption have made sugar a mass consumption good, what impacts mass production and consumption of sugar have had on working-class lives, etc. You can do the same for any object that you wish to analyze, which others are free to evaluate according to our various priorities. -- Yoshie