"Popular" in English & Spanish Re: Deleuze & Guattari...

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 10 10:39:00 PST 2003

At 9:42 AM -0800 1/10/03, Thomas Seay wrote:
>Carrol posted an extract from Brennan that attacked "Empire" and
>went on to say that he agreed with Brennan and that Empire was
>worthless. Doug then made a saracstic post aimed at Carrol,
>something like "What Carrol you dont like Empire?" You then replied
>that he, Doug, should say something about the piece, instead of
>making such comments.

We've already discussed our objections to _Empire_, here and on PEN-l, available in the public archives.

At 9:42 AM -0800 1/10/03, Thomas Seay wrote:
>I then posted a long response stating point by point what I thought
>was a distortion by Brennan and EXPLAINING what Negri's positions
>are on the matter.

Ah, yes, "distortion," never political or theoretical disagreement.

At 7:53 PM -0800 1/8/03, Thomas Seay wrote:
>they [Hardt & Negri] propose a desertion or exodus from capital in
>which capitalism would just collapse.

The way you summarize Hardt & Negri's proposal, you aren't doing any service to them. Your summary makes _Empire_ sound sillier than Brennan's criticism of it does. -- Yoshie