Popular culture

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Fri Jan 10 10:49:58 PST 2003

At 11:55 AM 01/10/2003 -0500, Yoshie wrote:
>It's doubtful whether we still have "popular culture" here -- culture
>of, by, and for peasants, artisans, workers, etc. -- today, as
>opposed to pop cultural sensations that are not really of, by, and
>for popular social forces but are in fact just pop flashes in the
>marketing pan.

Good point Yoshie. The name "popular culture" obscures the difference between the work of artists up through the nineteenth century and the work of mass-marketed pop artists in the twentieth century. This is not to say that the popular culture produced by mass marketing is necessarily inferior to pre-marketing popular culture; I think Hendrix is a great guitarist and so is Robert Johnson....but in a "culture" that can create a national obessession with pet rocks or The Monkees, it's important to remember how much of what is "popular" is the result of brainwashing rather than some spontaneous popular choice. Likewise, if someone is critical of the culture created by mass marketing, it would not be accurate to accuse them of elitism....

Joanna