The Texas populist take on the tax cut

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Jan 10 11:40:09 PST 2003

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Michael Pollak wrote:

> I think I follow what you're saying. But if I do, Molly is only wrong in
> her details of how 401ks work. She still right on her substantial point
> that 401k owners -- the vast bulk of the 70% who are counted as holding
> stock -- get nothing out of this proposal. Because their capital
> appreciation in 401k's is already untaxed. No?

Note re: an old discussion on using apostrophes to indicate the plural with abbreviations. In the above, 401ks looks weird, like a new category. With 401k's, on the other hand, it's immediately apparent that you've pluralized.

The no-apostrophe method works fine when abbreviations are capitalized. But lots of them aren't.

Michael