The Texas populist take on the tax cut

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Jan 10 11:40:17 PST 2003

> She still right on her substantial point that 401k owners --
> the vast bulk of the 70% who are counted as holding stock --
> get nothing out of this proposal. Because their capital
> appreciation in 401k's is already untaxed. No?

Maybe. I know I'm probably atypical on this list for actively managing my finances (what can I say? I write programs to trade financial instruments from time to time, I'm interested in the general problem). When I come across a stock I want to own that's dividend-heavy, I shrug and put it into a tax-deferred account. So when it "works" and I'm "right" I'll see the benefit in 25 years. If this change goes through, I'm just as likely to do it in a taxable account and spend the winnings on a big screen TV or food.

I bet I'm not alone in that.