The Triumph of Hope Over Self-Interest

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jan 12 13:37:29 PST 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> You could
> recite the facts over & over and it won't make a dent in that
> fundamental fantasy. I'll be damned if I can think what to do about
> it.

The general answer of "what to do about it" will be discovered in practice (if discovered at all) not in theorizing before the fact. But a few observations help define the context.

First of all, this only applies to 40% of the population, leaving 60% -- i.e. three or four times more than the number that we (leftists when we become a left) need to reach. That still leaves a huge field of operations. Secondly, it is our (visible) _practice_ that will make any of our potential 'recruits' from any sector of the population listen to anything we might say, and of course that visible practice has to be conducted by those who (a) already agree with us, (b) are at least open to the idea that what we do makes a difference, and (c) whose attention can be attracted by the activities of those of us already in motion.

And finally, for our purposes, what people think today is of course irrelevant, because by the time we know what they are thinking "today" it is already the day after tomorrow.

Carrol