The Triumph of Hope Over Self-Interest

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sun Jan 12 14:37:25 PST 2003

>Brooks may be a conservative, but I'm afraid he's mostly right about
>this argument. That Time poll, which has 39% of Americans either
>thinking they're in the top 1% or will be someday, is just as
>revealing as Brooks claims. It uncovers a fundamental fantasy about
>American life. Even though we've got the most unequal distribution
>of income in the rich world, the highest poverty levels, the
>greatest persistence of low-wage pay, and only moderate levels of
>mobility - that all doesn't matter. Most Americans just don't care.
>You could recite the facts over & over and it won't make a dent in
>that fundamental fantasy. I'll be damned if I can think what to do
>about it.
>
>Doug

Yea, I think that about says it. And that does show a lack in the typical American not to be capable of seeing through the fundamental fantasy -- the sophistication (if that is the right word for lack of a better one) is just not there. How many years have many of us on this very list been trying to get the importance of inequality through in our writing, our talks, our academic life? If there is to be economic revolution it is not going to happen here first, if ever. I sure as hell don't know what to do about it either.

Note how everyone downplays class. The GOP uses it as a bludgeon against the Democrats and the Democrats deny that class exists. So that is what people watch day in and day out. When those people, like the ones in Indiana recently shown on TV have to stand in bread lines for 5-8 hours and have a full time job to boot which does not support them and don't get angry about it, well what the hell can any of us do? THEY SHOULD BE ANGRY AS HELL but they stand in line like little sheep waiting for the handout. Marta --