Deleuze & Guattari, Zizek on Arendt (More from Brennan)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jan 12 14:33:14 PST 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> The Brooks article brings up one example: objectively we can say all
> kinds of things about polarization and immobility in the U.S. income
> distribution - but it barely matters in politial discourse, despite
> having all kinds of "noneconomic" effects (ill health, depression,
> crime...).

Example of what -- that subjectivity never matches objective reality? That is a truism. (Though Laclau & Mouffe try to argue that _the_ Marxist position must be a one-to-one correlation of class situation and consciousness.)

The point about understanding objective reality is _not_ that it determines consciousness in any direct or immediate way but that it remains relatively stable while consciousness continually varies. It is this fundamental fact that Freud more or less parodies in his "Where id was, ego will be" (accurate?).

Carrol