Derrida

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 13 14:40:48 PST 2003

> I saw him deliver a lecture at U.C. Berkeley (in
> French) about the
> ramifications of the fact that the circle around the
> "C" in the copyright
> symbol was not closed. Belle-lettrist blather to the
> max.

Well, the lectures and talks he gives in the movie are not devoted to such minutiae. In fact, they are remarkably clear and straightforward. I dont mean to contradict what you are saying (obviously I cant..I wasnt there), but in the movie at least, it is not Derrida who is the source of drivel, it is his interlocutors.

I must say, though, that in the movie he comes off as highly affable, and I have heard him described by people who know him as an extremely jovial person.

You have the right to your impression, but I dont understand how being "well-coiffed" brings to mind "child molestor". It is a cultural difference: french men pay more attention to personal grooming than most americans.

-Thomas

===== "Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

"Money eats quality and shits out quantity" -William Burroughs