The Lesser Evil (Was: Re: Lazare: Unpatriotic opposition)

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Mon Jan 13 21:03:24 PST 2003

>> If the ex-Trotskyist writer Christopher Hitchens is to
>> be believed, America is torn between those who favour a showdown
>> with Saddam and those who "truly believe that [US Attorney General]
>> John Ashcroft is a greater menace than Osama bin Laden" (2).
>
>Am I insane to think this is actually true? Which I
>do. jks

While they both have god on their side--which must count for something--Ashcroft has more paid agents under his control, better-armed and trained, with a bigger budget (at least now), is able to operate in the open (mostly), with the backing of a massive, well-organized system of courts and prisons in his host country. Al Qaeda, though perhaps more wontonly bloodthirsty, is a pretty rickety operation compared to the DOJ. So, no.

Jenny Brown