More on Hardt & Negri from Brennan

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Tue Jan 14 06:13:51 PST 2003

Alexandre Fenelon wrote:

> I don´t
> -know what aew the risks India faces.

Debt trap: the internal one. The fiscal deficit is said to be as high as 10% of the GDP ! Many provincial governments are facing financial crunch. This has had adverse impact on the public investment which would slow down or half economic growth. There are other risks like the threat to secularism, or war with Pakistan.

For Asian crisis
>we should look
> -the answers in geopolitical and demographic variables, while liberals
> -curently emphatizes cultural and institutional variables (property
rights,
> -rule of the law, religion and so on...)

What about Marxist theory of economic crises?

>> We rarely hear about the achievements of other countries in the Western
>> Hemishere except Cuba, though many Central and South American countries
have
>> HDI ranking comparable to Cuba. e.g. Mexico (54), Cuba (55), Columbia
(68),
>> Brazil (73) etc.

> -That is an interesting point. Chile is the Latin American country who has
> -the best HDI indexes. Those high indexes coexist with an horrible level
> -of inequality (Ginni near 60!!!). And something like 20-25% of Chilean
> -population live in absolute poverty (this index was 40% when Pinochet
> -left).

What is Mexican society like in terms of inequality? What is your take on the impact of NAFTA on Mexico?

> -Btw: A personal question. Are you a member of the Indian Congress or
> -another left wing Indian Party?

I have no political affiliation.

>I usually vote for the Worker´s Party

In my case, whether one votes or not, and how one votes are tactical questions.

Ulhas