International ANSWER: Spammers

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Tue Jan 14 14:46:36 PST 2003

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 at 4:24pm Carrol Cox wrote:

> budge wrote:
> >

> > did you report them to habeas? habeas will only be useful
> > if people abusing it are larted severely and promptly.
>
> What's "habeas"? I've never heard of it.

<http://www.habeas.com/faq/index.htm#1.1>

it's actually a pretty clever idea in a country where it seems to be impossible to get the CONgress to do anything about this theft of service spammers engage in.

the woman who started this company about 6 mos or a year ago used to be the general counsel for mail-abuse.org, the original anti-spam organization.

> P.S. Before I read your post I'd missed out somehow on the
> up in the archives. That was a pretty good story the Post
> published, and I hope the ANSWER people's gimmick worked to
> give it widespread attention.

spam is spam, i don't care how 'noble' the cause, it is rude and uncivilized to send spam. i know there are plenty of lefties who think it is just fine to dump completely off-topic and irrelevent posts to any list they can find in the interest of furthering the revolution, but i delete them unread as quickly as you delete a snit-post.

i once ran a small list for some local activists that was ddedicated to a particular topic. within weeks i was getting more damn poorly written, poorly formated mail from people i'd never met, about causes i didn't care about, it was disgusting.

and just like with commercial spam, how effective can it possibly be? typically only dupes and fools (and only a small percentage of those) fall for commercial spam, while it alienates the vast majority of recipients.

-- no Onan