TOWARD A MAXIMUM ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Jan 14 20:55:23 PST 2003

Carrol Cox wrote:

> Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>If a huge number of demonstrators really, really want to take
>>chances, offend the police, break stuff, or what have you, they can
>>and will do it, whatever rally organizers or "peace marshals" or
>>others might say or do.
>

> Yes. I've been in that situation twice -- and when it happens, it's a
> rush like nothing else I know. And when small groups try to fake it,
> it's one of the stupidest things I know. The young woman who broke apart
> the local SDS back in 1969 by joining the Weatherman got her arm broken
> during the Days of Rage. The last time I saw her, she was passing
> through town from east to west and consulting an astrology guide to see
> what bus she should take. I wonder if Chuck0 will end up in astrology or
> the Baptists? :-)

I am not a dilettante in revolutionary activism. I've been involved in activism going back to the student anti-apartheid movement of the 1980s. I've been arrested by the Chicago police and convicted of "Mob Action against the State." I've been involved in several black blocs, which means that I've seen my share of riot cops. Apparently the Washington police know me well enough to use my first name at protests, which I will take as a compliment to my hard work.

Yoshie has a good point in a sense, but I don't think she has the experience with big summit protests to understand how effective liberals, peaceniks, and sectarians can be in disempowering the more militant elements before the protest even begins. I'm kind of sick of watching this inside-the-beltway timid activism, so I'm up for a good riot right now.

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

"The state can't give you free speech, and the state can't take it away. You're born with it, like your eyes, like your ears. Freedom is something you assume, then you wait for someone to try to take it away. The degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free..." ---Utah Phillips