Marxism and Bodies

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Wed Jan 15 04:25:55 PST 2003

I think there are "free to" versions of Marxism -- free to have a different kind of work etc. Which is certainly not what Nietzsche means by free to, but not totally alien either. Would Deleuze & Guattari count, even though their version of the body is not one common to Marx or most Marxism? I do think of them as Marxist which is probably not a safe thing to say here. I think some of the intersections between feminist thought and Marxism would be a fair place to look, or strange post-Nietzschean but also sympathetic-to-Marxism philosophers like Lingis. I think you're only going to find the focus I think you're looking for in versions of Marxist thought which have another reason for looking at the "the body". But then again when you ask if "this" is the root of the problem, I'm not enirely sure what problem you're talking about.

Catherine