Marxism and Bodies

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 15 11:53:29 PST 2003

--- Catherine Driscoll <catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au> wrote:
> I think there are "free to" versions of Marxism --
> free to have a different
> kind of work etc.

Can you tell me the sources of the "free to" kinds of Marxism? I dont doubt you. I am just wanting to know as I am thinking a lot about this issue at the moment.

Which is certainly not what
> Nietzsche means by free to, but
> not totally alien either.
Agreed.

Would Deleuze & Guattari
> count, even though their
> version of the body is not one common to Marx or
> most Marxism?

Well, I think Deleuze and Guattari DEFINITELY COUNT...and of course Negri, as well as people like Balibar, all of whom have given attention to Spinoza.

I do think of
> them as Marxist which is probably not a safe thing
> to say here.

It's safe. There may be people here who may have interesting objections to Deleuze and Guattari being considered in the marxist tradition. There are also a few people desperately trying to sound pertinent will quote people like Brennan who proved how much he knows about things when he called Spinoza's philosophy (of all people!) transcendentalism. Ha!

I think some of
> the intersections between feminist thought and
> Marxism would be a fair place to
> look,

Yes, I am hoping you or someone else might point me to some of those. I suspected there might be something in that direction.

<< I think you're only going to find the
> focus I think you're looking
> for in versions of Marxist thought which have
> another reason for looking at
> the "the body".

Yes, and Marta did just that, which is GREAT. Her points on the disabled really stirred up a whole lot of ideas that I had never really pondered before.

But then again when you ask if
> "this" is the root of the
> problem, I'm not enirely sure what problem you're
> talking about.

By "the problem" I mean the idealized telos of historical materialism and orthodox marxism's emphasis on moving toward that ideal ("build up the productive forces"). It seems that the body, as the site of desires and liberation, gets forgotten in that story. It, the body, is subjugated into the service of that ideal.

-Thomas

===== <<Would you mind if I put my penis machine in your vagina machine">> (Fromthe forthcoming, "Deleuze and Guattari's Favorite Pickup Lines", by Thomas Seay)