President Bush denounces racial preferences in university admissions

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Thu Jan 16 11:46:27 PST 2003

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 13:17:34 EST DoreneFC at aol.com writes:
> In a message dated 1/16/2003 5:44:46 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> farmelantj at juno.com writes:
>

> > By
> > legacy preferences, I mean the sort whereby a half-educated
> > nitwit can be admitted into an Ivy League institution like
> > Yale, simply because his dad and granddad were graduates
> > of that institution.
> >

> Just for the sake of precision, half-educated nitwits whose parents
> went to
> Ivy League institutions are not guaranteed admission. First they
> have to
> apply. I am not up on Yale, but at Princeton offspring of alumni
> have only
> about double the odds of beign admitted compared to non-alumni
> applicants.

I have heard that Yale was supposed to have started up tightening up on legacy admissions in the early 1970s, after Dubya had already attended that institution.

> About 1 of 5 legacy applicants is admitted.
>
> About 1 of 10 or 1 of 12 people from the rest of the pool is
> admitted.

So being a legacy is still quite helpful then.

> As far as Bush, the more important question is how quickly he will
> manage to
> undo the effect of ousting Lott...

I don't think that the ouster of Lott was ever really over his racial views. The Bushies wanted to have their own man in place as the Senate Majority Leader. They did not consider Lott to be the most effective spokesman for their agenda. In fact there had been some expressions of disatisfaction with Lott from the Bush White House for quite some time. Once Lott stumbed the way he did at Strom Thurmond's birthday party, they decided they had the perfect oppurtunity to finish him off and put their own guy in place. And as far as the Bushies are concerned, the mid-term elections was a referendum on Bush. The Republican victories for the Senate were due to Bush (as far as they are concerned), so the Bushies felt no qualms about replacing the Senate Majority Leader.

Jim F.

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com