President Bush denounces racial preferences in university admissions

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jan 16 11:53:45 PST 2003

Jim Farmelant wrote:

>I have heard that Yale was supposed to have started up tightening
>up on legacy admissions in the early 1970s, after Dubya had already
>attended that institution.

"Inky" Clark - a Bonesman, by the way - started transforming Yale's admission system in the late 1960s, accepting fewer people like W and more people like me (public HS grads of undistinguished social pedigree). When I was there in the early 1970s, there were still a few W types around - dunderheaded Topsider-shod preppies - but they were outnumbered by smarter preppies and the upwardly mobile.

Doug