Exchange Ratios (Was Hitchens letter to Seattle peaceniks)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 17 07:13:07 PST 2003

--Hitch: Do you mean that oil isn't
> worth
> fighting for, or that oil resources aren't worth
> protecting?"

Willy:
> He
> didn't ask the obvious companion questions such
> whether the need for rubber and copper resources
> justified what we did to the Philippines, or if,
> when
> fighting one of his blood-for-oil wars, whether
> blood
> and oil should be exchanged at parity.

This raises the question of the relative value of various natural resources in blood. Let me suggest the following. We can analyse the matter as follows:

1 American life/30,000 Iraqi lives(average number of barrels of oil extracted per annum 1990-2000/labor value content of petroleum/barrel in the same period) = 1 American life/X Phillipine lives (avg pounds of rubber extracted from Phillpines 1990-2000/labor value of rubber/pound 1990-2000)(avg tons of copper extracted from Phil. 1990-2000/labor value of copper/ton in that period)

Solve for X and you have the answer to Willy's question, I believe. If you don't like value theory, use equlibrium mkt price instread of labor value content. (This illustrates why NCE is fundamentally silly.)

jks