Fwd: Two towns

kelley jimmyjames at softhome.net
Sun Jan 19 20:20:17 PST 2003

Looking forward to this on POV. The incident Andi describes, below, reminds me of the same thing happening to a woman who wanted to update a classic ethnography of urban life. Can't recall the details now but it turned out, later, that they were hostile to her endeavor--a critique of the original ethnographer--so they fibbed a bit.

http://www.pbs.org/pov/pov2002/twotownsofjasper/index.html

Airs Jan 22 on POV.

Also, tomorrow night on POV: "Brother Outsider: The Life of Bayard Rustin" Monday, January 20, 2003 (10-11:30 pm) This fascinating documentary profiles Bayard Rustin, a vital force in the civil rights movement whose open homosexuality forced him to remain in the background. Rustin's achievements are many, including the organization of the 1963 March on Washington, but his story is largely unknown. (CC, Stereo)

http://pbs.org/pov/brotheroutsider/

it jiss be cultural phenomenon y'all. makes no never mind aboudit!

kelley

>From: "Andi Stepnick" <stepnicka at mail.belmont.edu>
>To: teachsoc at vance.irss.unc.edu
>
>Jan 18 03
>
>Hi All,
>
>I hope everyone's doing well!
>
>I just saw this film last week as part of our MLK festivities here in
>Nashville. The filmmakers were here for a panel discussion and had
>some interesting things to say. They spent quite a bit of time in
>Jasper
at least 32 weeks, I believe, and used "white" and "black" crews
>to gather their "data." Although the filmmakers are friends, they
>stayed at separate hotels, didn't speak to one another and didn't
>acknowledge each another if they ran across each other in town. As I
>recall, the white filmmaker (Whitney, I think) had breakfast with
>the "Bubbas" about 35 times and filmed about 25 of those times. (The
>Bubbas, btw, are mostly college educated!) At some point found Whitney
>at one of the local auto body shops. While there, he interviewed the
>group of black men hanging out there
and he thought he got some really
>good stuff, too
until his black colleague filmed them a different
>time. Turns out the men had lied about everything
their names, how