Community Colleges

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jan 20 10:19:35 PST 2003

I know at least one person who is a first-rate researcher but "stuck" in a commnity college, and teaching an obscenely heavy load. He tells me that at his CC (and probably at most of them) not only is there no pressure to publish but publication can be held against a person. Perhaps that is why what he _does_ publish is of such high quality. Even the brightest (whatever that means) have only so much to say in a lifetime, and when they are forced to publish continuously to survive they necessarily (a) begin to crank out bright and well-written fluff and (b) never get the time to say what they really have to say.

There are always exceptions to everything. A few people have fallen over 12 thousand feet from an airplane and survived. But the generalization that falling from great heights is fatal still holds.

Carrol