Community Colleges

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 20 08:34:53 PST 2003

dredmond at efn.org wrote: On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> employable you are. Moreover in Radosh's cases, having taught for
> years at a community college was probably enough of a disqualification
> in itself for him to ever get a job at a major university, however
> good he was or wasn't.

Ah, to hell with the elite universities, community colleges are where Lefties ought to be anyway -- training ordinary folks in the gentle art of Resistance. Isn't this comm coll/elite univ hierarchy thing mostly an East Coast thing, not really applicable to the West? Judging from job apps, some of the Left Coast schools are way cool.

-- DRR

Well, there are spaces between the East Coast and the West Coast-- approximately 3,000 miles of them -- and I'm in one, was when I was in academis, places called Michigan and Ohio, largish states near those blue patches in the north center of the county. (Those are the Great Lakes.) I'm now in Chicago, which (as my NY MiL put it, "isn't like New York. It's boring": [and flat too!]). I realize from ya'lls point of view we're mostly flyovers, but these poor desolate yurts in the howling wiolderness are our homes. (In regard to academia, it's also probably true that not havinga degree from a bicoastal university is fatal for a job at an elite school.)

Bicoastal arrogance aside, Judis was complaining that Radosh was iced out of a job at a research school. Maybe "leftists" out to be at CCs, a choice I rejected, but it's been a long time since Radosh was a leftist. As for me, the last fella who told me that about leftists and CCs finally managed to wangle himself a job at US Davis. Fact of the matter is, even if it would be very virtuous to teach at a CC, it's rarely the first choice of perople with scholarly aspirations. It's my understanding, anyway, that CCs don't hire people with elite university degrees. In fact, it would probably be even more virtuous to teach at an inner city high school or middlle school. I have comrades who do that, bitter and unhappy people, I am sorry to say. Well, when I couldn't get a job at a research or a teaching school, I became a big firm lawyer, no virtue in it at all. jks