Fwd: NYT ad: "Oppose Saddam Hussein & US War on Iraq"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jan 20 10:38:07 PST 2003

Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 19:39:53 -0500 From: Joanne Landy <jlandy at igc.org> Subject: NYT ad: "Oppose Saddam Hussein & US War on Iraq"

Dear Friend,

Thank you again for your signature on our statement, "We Oppose Both Saddam Hussein and the U.S. War on Iraq: A call for a new, democratic U.S. foreign policy." We are writing to report to you on the statement's progress, and to ask for your help bringing it to the attention of a broader audience. We may have very little time left to try to stop this war, but we must try.

We hope to raise enough money to publish the statement as an ad in The New York Times. A full-page ad will cost $40,000, a half-page, $23,700. We have been very successful in fund raising so far, but will need to make a quantum leap to reach such sums. We are confident, however, that with your help we can do it.

We think our statement is unique. It brings an important message to the American people, most of whom are reluctant to support this war, with all its destruction and uncertainties, but are also repelled by the Iraqi dictatorship and legitimately worried about terrorism and weapons of mass destruction. The statement both firmly opposes any war against Iraq -- whether undertaken unilaterally or under UN auspices -- and comes out forthrightly against Saddam Hussein and his cruel regime in Baghdad.

The Campaign's statement is an attempt to amplify the voices of all those who believe that democratic principles should be applied consistently everywhere, and that U.S. foreign policy should promote these principles. It articulates an understanding that our current domineering, militarist foreign policy is no answer to the threat of terrorism and the problem of authoritarian regimes like Saddam Hussein's, and that the impending war will only make these things worse than they are now.

We have already made considerable progress in getting our message out, thanks to those of you who have signed, and in many cases, made contributions. The statement appeared as a two-page advertisement in The Nation of January 6, and is prominently featured on the Nation, ZNet and Progressive websites. It will appear as a one-page ad in The Progressive magazine later in January. As of this writing, the statement has drawn more than 3000 signatures, with increasing numbers pouring in daily as it circulates among movement leaders as well as grass-roots activists (including progressive Jewish and Arab networks), intellectuals, artists, academics and ordinary people across the country.

We are excited about the possibility of reaching hundreds of thousands of new people through a New York Times ad. We hope you will contribute to this effort if you can, with a donation of $100 or more, though gifts of any size are welcome. And, of course, a few gifts of $1000 or $2500 would bring us more rapidly towards our goal. But time is growing short. Please don't wait until the next round of your normal cycle of bill-paying. Using the form below or a fresh message, let us know by return e-mail if you will be able to make a pledge so we can have a good idea of what our resources are and whether we can make a commitment to the Times. If you have already given, please consider making an additional gift.

You may pay directly over the Internet through PayPal by going to our website at www.cpdweb.org and clicking on "how to contribute." Checks should be made payable to the Campaign for Peace and Democracy, and sent to us at: 2790 Broadway, #12, New York, NY, NY 10025. All gifts, whether sent electronically or via snail-mail, are tax deductible.

Thank you for your continued support in promoting democracy and opposing war on Iraq.

In peace and solidarity, Joanne Landy, Thomas Harrison, Jennifer Scarlott Co-Directors Campaign for Peace and Democracy

Please send this form by return email. If you have difficulty using the form, just write your own message with the requested information and send it to us at cpd at igc.org ___Yes, I will make a contribution of $_____ to publicize the statement

____by mail

____on the web by going to www.cpdweb.org NAME________________________________________

P.S. Please continue to circulate the statement among your colleagues, friends and personal lists -- this has been a very important way of getting it disseminated. Just let us know if you want us to supply a forwardable email message you can send along, or a flyer you can download.