Euro-sceptics

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 20 10:52:33 PST 2003

In message <200301192009.PAA10688 at dont.panix.com>, lbo-talk-digest <owner-lbo-talk-digest at lists.panix.com> writes
>Seems to me you're looking a gift horse in the mouth here, James. No doubt
>Euro leaders have hidden agendas in raising doubts about the US war drive.
>But the longer there's no fighting *for whatever reason* the more
>opportunity genuine antiwar activists will have to build public support that
>can thwart the cynical forces you see at work.

On the contrary. It is because Europe has, since German reunification, been experimenting with its own independent imperialist strategy that US attempts to militarise international relations have come to the fore.

There is nothing benevolent about Germany's endorsement of the break-up of Yugoslavia, or proposal of an 'International Criminal Court'. On the contrary, these initiatives are about re-casting the word in the European mould, with the peoples of the former Eastern bloc and Third World as the fall guys.

More than any supposed dependence on oil (much greater, after all in non-oil producing Europe) it is Europe's attempts to restore its supremacy that is forcing the pace of American militarism.

Carl says any doubts are useful, and that might seem to be true, but read more closely: European leaders are not hostile to the war against Iraq. They just want America to go through the official channels of the UN, and pay obeisance to their pretensions before he slaughters Iraqis. In fact, they want a replay of the first Gulf War, when Bush Sr paid homage to an alliance. There is unanimity between Europe and the US on the need to persecute Arabs. There only differences is who gets a campaign medal at the end.

-- James Heartfield