Fwd: Re:lbo-talk-digest V1 #7260

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jan 20 10:53:04 PST 2003

[sent to me rather than list]

From: "Daniel Davies" <dsquared at al-islam.com> To: " owner-lbo-talk-digest at lists.panix.com" <owner-lbo-talk-digest at lists.panix.com> Subject: Re:lbo-talk-digest V1 #7260 Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 01:07:59 -0800

In passing on an anecdote on the general subject of "famous people I know", Christopher Hitchens wrote:

>In his area
>of Iraq, "regime change" has already occurred. There are >dozens of
newspapers, numerous radio and TV
>channels, satellite dishes, Internet cafes. Four female >judges have been
appointed. Almost half the
>students at the University of Sulaimaniya are women.

Of course, Iraq has elected female judges, and a quick web search reveals to me that 54% of Basra University's students are women. I'm sure that Hitchens is trying to make a point of some sort here, but to an uneducated observer, it just looks as if he is lying by ommission in order to pretend that Iraq is an Islamofascist state indistinguishable from the Taliban's Afghanistan. I worry that little slip-ups like this may have a long term effect on his credibility.

dd