Community Colleges

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 20 10:46:22 PST 2003

In philosophy (my former field), Michigan's a top 5 school in every ranking, has been for generations. Law too. U of C's tops in lots of things (not philosophy, there it's probably top 15), but definitely in law. I turned down Columbia and Berkeley for my grad program; Berkley's top 10, but there wasn't anything for my then-girlfriend (who ended up not going to grad school in the states anyway). Columbia wasn't and isn't top 10 in philosophy nationally. Point is, what's elite varies by area. It's probablyt true that on the coasts there is the assumption in Jordan's note, that nothing that isn't on the coasts is really any good. We are just flyovers, after all, and if we had real talent we would have gone to Harvard.

jks