Bayard Rustin documentary

Reed Tryte reed_tryte at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 21 11:52:39 PST 2003

Kelley, thanks for forwarding the information on the Bayard Rustin documentary (http://www.pbs.org/pov/pov2002/brotheroutsider/index.html), which I watched last night. I didn't know all that much about him previously, and I really enjoyed it.

In particular I found it to be a valuable reminder that, despite the fact that in many areas we're treading water or even going backwards, in others areas progressive movements have won huge victories in the not so distant past. God knows Rustin's life would have been a thousand times easier if he'd been born in 2002. It may still be bad to be black or gay (or black and gay) in the US, but it's better than it was. Even if people's lives are still constrained by class, they're less constrained by race, sex, sexual orientation, etc., which is no small thing. It should give everybody motivation and hope for the future.

Also, who wouldn't want to be a part of a movement that included people as compelling as Rustin? He was one admirable freakazoid.