Bayard Rustin documentary

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 21 12:22:16 PST 2003

Reed Tryte wrote:

>Also, who wouldn't want to be a part of a movement
>that included people as compelling as Rustin? He was
>one admirable freakazoid.

I happened to watch the first moon landing with Rustin. One of my best friends from high school was the son of Paul Hall, the long-time president of the Seafarers International Union, which was an anti-communist union founded as a counter to the reddish National Martime Union. Hall was friendly with a lot of the Cold Warrior hawkish Dems - Scoop Jackson, Victor Gotbaum, Hubert Humphrey, etc. I was visiting the SIU's training camp at Piney Point, Maryland, which the Hall family also used as a vacation retreat, and we were all camped out around the TV when Neil Armstrong uttered his famous "one small step" line. We all scratched our heads, wondering just what he'd said - the sound was pretty murky. When it was finally clarified, Rustin said, "He should have just farted."

Doug