subject change

Reed Tryte reed_tryte at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 21 12:00:45 PST 2003

>Conventional wisdom among the Left holds that the
>international community should act in the face of
>widespread human rights abuses. An important task for

>the Left, the argument goes, is to take their
>own governments to task to require intervention in
>the name of democratic and human rights values.
>Campaigns against the racist regimes in South Africa
>and Zimbabwe and more recently, Cambodia, East Timor,
>Burma and Tibet bear this out.

Yes, I well remember when it was the conventional wisdom on the left that right-wing US governments should invade South Africa, Zimbabwe, Cambodia, East Timor, Burma and Tibet. I still have all my old buttons.

>The international community should meet its
>obligations to the people of Iraq to rebuild the
>country, to develop democratic institutions based on
>tolerance and to allow its people access to the
>benefits derived from its oil wealth.

Uh huh. I'd say the odds of the Bush administration making that happen are as high as 1 in 1000. Let's roll the dice!