Great News From David Horowitz

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Jan 22 12:59:54 PST 2003

Thomas Seay wrote:

> The question that has to be on WWP's mind is how to
> bring more people into the direct orbit of WWP. I'm
> convinced that they aren't able to answer that
> question. This movement is too big and too diverse.
> So, if WWP wants to continue being bus organizers,
> then fine, let them be bus organizers. At some point,
> I think they're going to have to make a move: either
> become more open OR relinquish some of the power,
> because it just isn't benefitting them to put so much
> energy into this while getting so little return (ie
> recruitment).

I don't think they know what to do next, other than to take over big protests that other groups are organizing. I've talked to some other activists about this. We agreed that ANSWER probably figured that the war would start in late January, like the last Gulf War (i.e. it's a cool time of year in the Iraq desert). Or they may have figured out a date that was before the inspections guideline. The thing to remember is that they set the date of this demo back in mid October, cause they announced it during their October rally in DC.

I agree that the movement has escaped their control. That was evident last weekend with all the local protests and breakaway marches. There is a big anti-war protest happening this weekend in Pittsburgh that ANSWER has zero to do with.

> We should continue going to their events, but also
> organize our own. I take back my earlier statements
> that these protests are worthless. They are good for
> people who want to demonstrate at some level their
> anti-war sentiments. I took my baby to the demo,
> knowing that I wouldn't have to worry about engaging
> in a street brawl while pushing a baby carriage.
> However, at the same time, we need to organize other
> types of more radical subversion outside of these
> marches.

Yes, they have their uses on a low level. They are good for new people, families, babies and dogs. The speeches make for good issues messaging on C-SPAN. But a movement "led" by a group that doesn't organize direct action and civil disobedience, along with demos and marches, is going to be pretty toothless.

> It's time for independent groups/individuals to affirm
> themselves in creative subversive ways. WWP can't
> stop that. We go around them by not worrying about
> them; we do our own thing. The thing is to be
> autonomous.

Heh, heh, heh. ;-)

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

"The state can't give you free speech, and the state can't take it away. You're born with it, like your eyes, like your ears. Freedom is something you assume, then you wait for someone to try to take it away. The degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free..." ---Utah Phillips