Hollow ANSWER?

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Thu Jan 23 10:08:49 PST 2003

A few of the reasons:

1)IAC (the front for the WWP before ANSWER became the front for IAC) continued working on Iraq after the Gulf War, protesting the embargo, the bombings when nobody else was doing anything.

2)Most peace groups are very disorganized, partly because they involve people who are also dealing with jobs, school, children, grandchildren, friends and lives. Luckily, party-building groups don't have that problem!

3)The emerging, more organized national coalitions are still much newer than ANSWER.

4)ANSWER was strongly opposed to the war on Afghanistan, so while many other groups were dithering and processing about that, they were getting some structure in place. Ditto on Palestine. Both to their credit. And since they aren't democratic and don't much care about subtlety, it's no problem for them to quickly assemble simplistic messages on issues that most people think are kind of complicated.

lots of other reasons, but those are the ones coming to mind at the moment. you are right, a lot of those "co-sponsors" are tiny.

Liza